Wednesday, January 15, 2014

2014 Addictions: Green Smoothies

Now that I am finally back at school, I'm trying twice as hard to be healthy. Ya know, the whole, "new year, new me," thing... So the first step of that for me is breakfast. I've never been a huge fan of breakfast and I usually never eat it. I've used every excuse in the book. "I don't have time." "It makes me feel sick." "I hate eggs." If you've heard it, I've probably used it. So I found a solution. 

Green smoothies. 

I love spinach on a salad, but I never thought I would like it in a smoothie. And boy was I wrong. I've found that this simple, healthy breakfast on the go is a great start to my day. To find the right smoothie, I did some research looking up multiple recipes, saving the ones I thought sounded appetizing. I found one in particular calling for pineapple and banana, my two favorite fruits, and thought I would try it by putting my own spin on it. If you'd like to try it out, check out my recipe.

(Makes about two servings)

Ingredients:
1 cup pineapple, chopped
1/2 banana
2 handfuls spinach
1 cup almond milk (I use Almond Breeze Original)
1 handful of ice (6-8 ice cubes)

Directions:
1. Put all ingredients in blender.
2. Blend thoroughly.
3. Pour into cup, add straw, and enjoy.

Like anything else, this smoothie is best when drank right away, but if you're like me and don't have quite enough time in the morning, it is okay to make it at night before you go to bed. Just make sure to seal with an airtight lid and keep refrigerated. When you remove the drink, some ingredients may have separated, but just mix it up and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment