Thursday, January 23, 2014

#selfies

Admit it. You've taken a selfie once or twice. We're all guilty of it. Sometimes it's a cute one for instagram, other times a goofy one to snap chat to a friend, whatever. But at one time or another, we've all been there and taken a selfie. (Heck, I'll admit it, you can scroll through my camera roll and find a series of 5+ selfies, all on the same day, at the same time, just trying to get the perfect picture.)

Like most girls, tweens, teens, and young adults alike, I'm self conscious about my appearance, about my personality, about everything. It's a love hate relationship when it comes to myself. Especially when it comes to pictures of myself. It's like they say, you're biggest critic will always be yourself.

I was scrolling through my newsfeed on Facebook and found an article posted by Cosmo that intrigued me. The article was entitled "The Campaign on #Selfies That Will Make You Cry." What I found was an eight-minute video, which recently premiered at the Sundance Film Festival, that was commissioned by Dove as part of their Real Beauty campaign's 10th anniversary. The video showcases how a group of girls take selfies and the affects todays' standards of beauty. This video is heart warming and eye opening to how the standard of beauty create these insecurities in young girls everywhere.

Check out the video below

For more information on Dove's Real Beauty campaign, visit their website here.

Redifining what #beautyis

No comments:

Post a Comment